Thursday 9 May 2013

'The Debt - Catch the Zolt' - Phillip Gwynne

Quality fiction for teenage boys is no longer a thing of the past. Three cheers for Mr Gwynne who, being a lad himself at one stage of his life, knows exactly what boys want to read. It's all here - seriously.

There's competition, sexy cars, money, power, punch-ups, shootings, intrigue and excitement. This might seem an unfair thing to say, but I don't think the girls will get this book. I persisted so I could rally the lads.

Oh, forgot to mention plane crashes:
     As if to emphasise his point we hit a patch of turbulence and the plane shuddered violently, the chairs we were sitting in moving all over the place. My guts, too, now seemed to have no fixed position.
   As the ground came up to meet us, Otto talked to himself.
   ...'Keep the nose level,'  he kept saying. 'Keep the nose level.'
   I remembered the photo on the net of one of the planes he'd crashed, its nose buried in the earth.
   How he had walked away from that mess unharmed I wasn't sure. (p.265)

The first in a series, The Debt will not disappoint. Cheers Phil :)

Miss ^__^

No comments:

Post a Comment