Tuesday 18 August 2015

'The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl' by Melissa Keil



Review: The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl by Melissa Keil
If you like art, especially of the cartoon/animation style, combined with the implausibility of a doomsday hoax from an unreliable media source, this book is for you. The protagonist – Sarah alias ‘Alba’ – uses her cartoon artwork in much the same way as a therapist would recommend keeping a journal.

My latest menu is a new style I’ve been experimenting with, sort of the wicked inventive layouts of the last X-23 meets the linework of Faith Erin Hicks, but with a palette of old-school Marvel colours, all reds and blues and limey greens. I’m trying out a new character in this one as well. Her hair is styled a bit like mine, with a thick eye-sweeping fringe, but instead of my longish brown boringness I’ve given her masses of red curls streaked with blue… She’s not supposed to be me, even though she dresses like me and has my height and, okay, maybe my solid thighs. I think she looks pretty kick-arse. (p.13) 

Sarah is a normal, if not introspective, girl who has just finished high school but is uncertain about leaving the comforts of her small town to pursue a dream of going to a city art school. The novel is mostly the unfolding of her wrestling with her fears, real or imagined.
The language used throughout the novel is simple, extremely colloquial teen speak. I found it a bit overdone, but that’s probably just my age showing… I found the pace too slow and the number of characters too confusing. There’s a romance curve ball that helped bring the story home, but other than that, I found Cinnamon Girls’ so-called adventures to be completely underwhelming.

Miss ^__^

No comments:

Post a Comment