Tuesday 21 November 2017

Becoming Kirrali Lewis by Jane Harrison

First published in 2015, this novel caught my eye -again- due to the "State Library of Queensland Winner" medallion on the front cover. Then the blurb revealed it to be a story set in the 1980s (a decade close to my heart, including my uni years!) with flashbacks to the 60s; a story about an aboriginal girl adopted into a white family.
If any student were ever to earnestly enquire about Australian history, I think the best option would be to hand them a copy of this novel and follow up with a discussion afterwards. Harrison is thorough in her addressing of Aboriginal issues without being cliché - I appreciate that would be a hard thing for a writer to do, especially with such a contentious topic.
The writing is simple (think Sally Morgan's 'My Place') but interesting. At times I had to take a little break from reading as it was highly emotional in places. That might be due to the fact that I am a parent. I'd be interested to see if teenage readers would be as moved as I was at certain points.
Without giving too much away, here's an excerpt from when the protagonist was assaulted by a few racists thugs after she leaves the local pub:
   Kirk and I bolted. My clunky heels skidded on the uneven bluestone surface of the alley and within a few strides they had overtaken and surrounded us. I was flooded with fear.
   It happened quickly. I saw the flash of a fist and heard a crack like dry thunder. I realised Thug One must have broken Kirk's nose. He staggered back into the paling fence which shuddered along its length. Thug Two flung his arm around my neck in a headlock and I bit him as hard as I could. He leapt back, yelping in pain. I took a wild swing with my shoe at Thug Three's genitalia but missed. He lashed out with a backhanded punch and I went down, my knees hitting the pavers. Someone held me, someone stomped on my head. The pain was excruciating. Somewhere, Kirk was moaning.
   Worse than the pain was hearing guys my age, guys I might have gone to school with, or been neighbours with - ordinary guys- use those words. They called us niggers. No-hopers. Bludgers. Boongs. Filthy abos. And after each curse came their disgusting laughter... (pp.57-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment