Sunday 20 November 2011

Hayley Kellaway


the book I have begun reading for my wider reading assignment is called ‘Nanberry Black Brother White’, written by Jackie French. This book is about a young aboriginal boy named Nanberry, who is adopted by a white surgeon -John White. 
I picked this book because the front cover reminded me of one of young my cousins –Nicklaus. Also, it is a true story based on a boy set in Australia in 1789. This attracted me to the book as I enjoy reading true stories about what life was like for past generations in Australia.
The part of the book that I have read so far shows Nanberry’s two very different worlds. One where Nanberry could laze around the fire with his aunties eating yams, where he could learn to be a warrior and become a real man. Until the white ghost came and took over their land, spreading their vicious diseases whipping out tribes. Nanberry’s life was then turned upside down after his tribe suffered from a ferocious disease and his family were left to die, as he is adopted by a white surgeon and expected to live a whole new lifestyle. With people who he didn’t know anything about.
I think this book would be suitable for all mature ages to enjoy. And I would recommend reading it as from the part I have begun to read, it is very intriguing to also learn about Australian History as well as be entertained by a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment